Saturday, June 14, 2008

So.... where was I?

Well, lots have happened around here since I last blogged. I've been a bit under the weather lately and didn't have the energy to even type. The last life and death episode of my mom's just put me over the edge, but I'm doing better now.

So, Josh graduated from 8th grade and will be in high school next year. OMG, I can't believe he's old enough, or that I'm old enough to have 2 kids in high school. His graduation was nice and he received an award for highest achievement in science. We received his class photo that evening. It's hilarious. Picture 5 kids, trying to look as morose as possible. Josh's friend, Major, was the only one who smiled at all. I've never seen kids be more proud of a dismal demeanor than these 5 (excluding Major). They probably worked up a sweat trying to look disgusted. Can't you just picture the photographer trying to encourage them to smile:

Photographer: Okay, everyone sit up straight and smile. Say "cheese"!
Kids:
P: On the count of 3, everyone say "money"!
K:
P: Hey, guys, give me a little smile. Think about summer vacation coming up!
K:
P: Josh, tell a joke that will make them smile!
K:
P:Girls, give me just a little something, huh?
K:
P: Okay, no smiles. I get it. Let's just sit up straight!
K: (kids slouch even more)
P: Okay, fine. You win. Just sit. (Internal monologue - Teenagers! Give me those nose-picking Kindergartners any day!)

Lauren finished school 2 days later and they had a wonderful celebration at the Monarch School. Every kid gets recognition, so it makes for a long afternoon, but it was well worth it. Lauren received a Presidential award for academic recognition (my democratic and Canadian readers, just bite your tongue for a moment!) and a few other awards. It's great to see kids that work so hard to regulate themselves every minute of the day to be recognized and rewarded for it. Their accomplishments are inspiring. Monarch does amazing things, I'll tell ya! It was announced that Lauren won honorable mention in a city-wide writing contest for the Houston Bar Association (bar as in lawyers, not booze) about why we need laws. She got a nice letter and certificate. The best part, according to Lauren, was the $150 cash award! Click here to see the story and her essay.

So, now I'm home with 2 teenagers, all day, every day. Oh, such joy!

Actually, there is light at the end of the tunnel. The kids leave tomorrow morning for their annual youth choir tour. They are going to Oklahoma to perform their musical and put on a Vacation Bible School all week for their host church. This is Lauren's fourth tour and Josh's first. I was supposed to go, but with me not feeling well, I decided not to push myself. I didn't think I was up to sleeping in a gym on a cot, surrounded by 35 teenagers, showering at a local high school, etc. Nope, not this year.

So, what will Rick and I do with ourselves? Move and leave no forwarding address? Well, not that drastic, but we are going to stay in a hotel for 2 nights. Rick can't take both days off of work so we got a hotel downtown, so that Rick won't have a long commute and that I can do fun things while he's slaving away earning a living for us. I'm thinking museums, a bit of shopping, getting a massage, etc. Then, when Ricky-poo arrives it's off to dinner, movies, Starbucks, etc. We sooooooo need some time away! We're staying here for the first time. It has rave reviews so I'm really looking forward to it.

Just think of it: 6 days of no fighting, 6 days of only picking up after myself (Rick is on his own), 6 days of no fighting, 6 days of no eye-rolling, 6 days of no strange noises from the male spawn of Ricky, 6 days of no teenage attitude, did I mention 6 days of no fighting? Woo hoo, I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. YESSSS!!! SIX DAYS! Remember when they were little and you couldn't bear to leave them? hahahahahaha Those days are long gone baby! :)

    Love you & I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little and can't bear to leave them? I must have missed that memo! J/K!
    I'd say that your current plans sound much more like what the doctor would order than the choir tour! The hotel looks amazing and I know you guys will enjoy it! Take in every moment while you can!

    ReplyDelete