Thursday, April 3, 2008

Perusing Purses

I bought my summer purse yesterday. It's such a fun and bothersome task all at the same time.

I liked my purse I used last summer and moved all my stuff over to it a few weeks ago (now that spring has sprung here), but have found it to be too small this time around. Now that I live in my car and drive at least 100 miles a day I keep several things in my purse. Besides all of the usual stuff, I now carry around a magazine, a book, paperwork chores I can do from the car, snacks, water, etc. I'm not interested in my purse holding all of this but my purse from last year wouldn't even really hold a book (a must these days!).

So, off to the mall I went. As a side note, it's weird being at the mall during the day. I feel like I'm skipping school, which I never did. I didn't even skip school on Senior Skip Day. Josh asked me today "Mom, I don't mean to insult you at all and I really love you and all...... but were you a nerd in school?" I fessed up, although I think he already knew. Maybe he was breaking the news to me, in case I didn't know. :)

Anyways, back to the mall - The thing about purse shopping is that I know more of what I don't want than what I do want. I didn't want anything too small, I didn't want a tote bag, I didn't want studs on it, or 1 long strap, or 1 solid color, or too cheap, or too expensive, or too flashy, or too nerdy (I'm trying!), or....or.....or.....

I found a purse I really liked so then it's time to test drive it. That means I put the purse on my left shoulder (never my right) and walk around like I'm shopping, while holding my real purse in my other hand. At times, I will glance at a mirror, when one comes up, so I can see how my new purse looks. Even though I'm staying in the purse section, sales personnel ask me repeatedly if I need any assistance. Can't they see I'm going for a test drive! I'm not trying to steal it!

Once I bought it, my urge was to find a place to sit down and transfer all of my stuff from the old to the new purse. I fought the urge while in the mall, but was mentally putting things in certain pockets as I walked to my car. Good thing a car-jacker or {gasp} a purse-snatcher wasn't watching because I wasn't "on guard" as I almost always am in a parking lot.

I decided that I would drive to Lauren's school, after a quick trip through Starbuck's, and get into the carpool lane early. My reward would be getting to put stuff in my new purse!!! I was in heaven, being one of the first in line, sipping my venti non-fat caramel macchiato and transferring my items into the new "summer purse"!

So, today I went with my friend, Cindy, to be her companion on her shopping spree. It's not my fault that I happened to find 2 pairs of shoes that were at an unbelievable price at Ross Dress for Less on Westheimer! While browsing, I did what I always do but don't want to do. I go through the purse section and question whether I bought the right purse. I'll do this for the next few times I go shopping, which isn't very often, and drive myself crazy but, alas... it's beyond my control.

Anyone have any suggestions about how to explain this to Rick? Actually, we've been married almost 20 years. He's beyond trying to figure me out. He just says "It's okay, Beth. I trust you." I do love that man!

Is it just me who's this, ummm, purse obsessed?

2 comments:

  1. Nerds unite! I laughed out loud about the urge to transfer your stuff to a new purse - from a person who has bought 3 new purses in the last 6 months I can soooo relate to that! (I love my purple purse now though - it's huge and PURPLE!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "heavenly" experience while in the carpool lane cracked me up. Do we lead boring lives or what?! Sipping something from Starbucks and putting items in a new purse - the ultimate?! How are we ever going to top that? Diane

    ReplyDelete