Monday, March 10, 2008

Hi ho, hi ho. It's off to school we go!

Well, my friend LaSchel and I went to see 2 more schools today in a search for a high school for Josh and her son, Major (Josh's best friend). It was so easy finding a school for Lauren. Well, not easy but the decision was simple. She simply HAD to go to The Monarch School because we knew it was the perfect place for her. I had a very comforting faith telling me that it was all going to work out and it did. No such luck with this search.

LaSchel and I have spent ten's of hours researching on the Internet and made several phone calls. We've now seen about 10 school in all parts of Houston. You'd be surprised at the difference between one school's vision listed on their website and then the different things you hear in a conversation and then going to see the campus. We've seen schools that sound wonderful but in actuality are nothing more that a workbook haven with teachers (no make-up or pants allowed) that are only there to facilitate the workbook. Yes, I'm serious! We heard one principal brag about how silent the students are (there wasn't a peep from anyone the whole time we were there) and he was so proud that when they recently had a power outage, this one group of students just kept working and reading away basically in the dark. Don't ask me how. Could you imagine how joke-telling, impression-doing, farting-under-his-arm, artistic and creative Josh Rainey would function in one of those schools. LaSchel and I have had quite a laugh over it all.

Today, I'm not laughing about it. We're down to the wire, schools are taking applicants from new students and the clock is ticking. I think I've seen everything out there that is suitable for Josh and his needs and I'm down to 3 choices. None of them grab me as "the one" and I'm so concerned about this. LaSchel and I have seen the results of our boys being in the wrong school and it's devastating for them and for both of our families. Please be in prayer for us that we find just what Josh and Major need.

For all of you out there who think "Well, Beth, aren't you a certified teacher? Just home school him".... all I can say is "Have you met my children?" I love them dearly and would do anything for them but I would go from being certified to certifiable in no time flat!

Thanks for your prayers,
Beth

1 comment:

  1. We will be praying. What a difficult place to be. I know God isn't surprised by this predicament and already has the PERFECT place lined up. Now, if He'd just share that information, everyone would be set! That's what I'll be praying for!

    ReplyDelete