Saturday, March 15, 2008

Wet T-Shirt Contest

I loved it when the kids were little and talked in that way that toddlers or small children do - trying to talk like a big kid but not being able to pronounce things the "grown-up" way. I miss the days when Josh would call Lauren "Yawren" or when Lauren would recite the book "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" in her sing-song way. There's a precious little girl in our children's choir. Instead of singing the lyrics to this one song "... before the Red Sea parted.." she sings "... before the recipe parted...". I crack up every time she does it! It's so cute.

I don't get that much these days, with the kids being full-fledged teenagers. They say or understand lots of things that I sometimes wish they wouldn't!! However, they're not as grown up as they think they are! :)

A while back, as we were driving in the car, Josh said "Mom, what's a wet t-shirt contest?". Somehow they always seem to ask me those kinds of questions while I'm driving. It's a wonder I don't wreck my car. Anyways, I decided that Josh wouldn't have asked if he didn't have some idea what a wet t-shirt contest was so I better be honest. So, I went on to explain what it was as politely as I could. Josh's response was "Why would they do that?". Lauren said "So guys can look at their breasts, you dork!".

Josh just sat back and looked deep in thought. Then he said "Huh. That's not what I thought it was.". I asked him what he meant and he said "Well, I thought it was when they poured boob water on you.". I choked back a giggle and asked what boob water was. He replied "I dunno.".

So, there you go. Being 14 is really not that far away from being 4! I love it!

2 comments:

  1. I have learned to first ask, "What do you think it means?"
    However, Lauren's direct approach is always an option :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, your wording about Lauren just cracked me up!! You know her well!!

    ReplyDelete