Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Horse, of Course!



So, what was I trying to save this morning? Was it my children, my husband, my mom or dad, my sanity? NO, a horse, of course! Well, actually it was a pony.

I was driving home from dropping off the kids at school when I saw a Shetland pony on the side of Louetta, a busy road in our part of town. I've seen the pony a few times, grazing in a field of abandoned, rusty cars and other garbage and thought to myself that I should call someone about it's safety and health. This morning, it had broken out of whatever fencing there was around the property and the pony was walking along the paved side of the road, just inches from cars. I turned my car around and came up on that side of the road, just as the pony went back into the field. I left my cell phone at home, so I took off in that direction and called a few places when I got there. Someone from the Harris Co. Sheriff's dept., livestock division (didn't know they had one!) was coming by. I grabbed my cell phone and a bag of carrots and went back to the field, about 5 minutes from home.

I waited a bit until the Sheriff's dept. truck and trailer arrived and we went looking for the pony. We found it on the back porch of the abandoned house, with access into the house. The pony came up to me and let me pet it and I gave it some carrots. Then, I helped hold up the broken fence as the sheriff tied it off better with wire. He said the pony had shelter (there was a barn) and food and looked fat and healthy so we left it there. He was posting a note to the property owners about the fence, pony, etc. as I left.

Boy, the dogs sure gave me a good sniffing when I got home! Time for a bath!

1 comment:

  1. OMG this story is AMAZING! And you are an amazing woman, my friend. As if you don't have anything else to do, you take the time to take care of a pony that has run off. WOW.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete