Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Auto Mechanics 101, Here I Come

So, I'd just dropped Lauren off with our carpool and was on the way to Josh's school when I saw someone stalled in an intersection. We all see them every day. I don't know why but something inside told me to stop and help. So, I did. He might have wished for someone else!

Fortunately, the guy was in an intersection that's not very busy in the morning rush hour. I had a hard time pulling up beside him because I didn't want to totally block the intersection, but there wasn't any other way. I was aware that I had Josh, Astro and Allie in the car and my first priority was to keep them safe. The man got out his jumper cables and I lifted the hood of my car to get to the battery. Silly me, I couldn't remember which was the positive or negative post of the battery so he had to tell me. I felt a little foolish, but oh well. Jumping the car didn't work, so he thought that maybe I could tow him across to a parking lot so he could call a tow truck. We pushed his car behind mine and he asked if I had a towing hitch. I couldn't remember if I did or not! Ugh, another brain fart moment. At this point, he's probably wondering if there was anyone else who could stop and help. Anyways, we found this "big hook thing" under my car and attached a special nylon towing rope that he had to this big hook. We couldn't find anything to attach the other end to his car, although I was on my hands and knees looking under his car like I knew what I was doing. Yea, right! So, he attached it to something, but the minute I tried to pull him whatever it was, snapped. He wasn't that concerned about it, but I have no idea what it was or how serious it was.

We ended up with me parking my car, with Josh and the dogs inside, in a parking lot. Then, I ran back, got in his car to steer as he pushed the car through the intersection and into the parking lot. I felt a little foolish but he seemed grateful for my, ummm, help. :)

When I think back, and see the faces of all the drivers that passed us by, I bet there were some real auto mechanics in the crowd. They could have diagnosed his problem, known just where to hook the towing rope, etc. But, on a metaphoric level, when we need help, don't we just really want someone to understand and be there for us as we try to figure it out. I know I do. I just want to feel like I'm not alone.

At least that's what I'm telling myself this morning. The man was wearing scrubs. He's probably at his hospital telling the story of this nice but clueless woman who tried to help. Oh well, my kid saw me do something to help someone in need today. That makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it!

1 comment:

  1. ah just think that you probably made some procedure or surgery or doctor's appt "on time" by helping this guy! LOL Don't worry I am just as clueless as you are - I have NEVER changed a tire. The one time I did get a flat (going 80 on the Hardy Toll Road - gee that was fun), the little Metro guy came buy and changed my tire for me even before I could get my AAA card out!!

    ReplyDelete